Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Surfing Satori--New Zealand's New Contenders Surf City

Box Of Budgies
I have not heard the the album Kudos by Surf City, a new band from New Zealand. It comes out here November 1, and I can't wait. Their first recording from 2008 (the Foghorn Leghorn gone postal eponymous Ep), was an anarchic blender whirling of The Clean, Pavement, Kaleidoscope World-era Chills, Beach Boys, Bird Nest Roys, Undertones, Jesus and Mary Chain, Animal Collective, even Sonic Youth. With my love of the classic New Zealand sound of the 80's, 30 seconds listening into this ep and it was like hitching a ride in a Flying Nun Records Time Machine. Well, to be fair, they have greatly updated the Kiwi sound for the 21st century. I have high expectations for Kudos--their ep was some of the most exciting music I've heard lately. I only wish I didn't have to wait two years for this!

So noisy, exuberant, yet so harmonious. I have no idea what they are singing about on this album, but I love every minute of this short 6 song recording. Surf City is comprised of  guitarists Josh Kennedy, Davin Stoddard, drummer Logan Collins and Jamie Kennedy on bass. Headin' Inside, the opening song, is reminiscent of songs like Tally Ho! and Getting Older by the Clean with the wonderful organ and guitar treble. Dickshaker's Union is very much a distorted and alternatized version of a Chill's song like Satin Doll, or Kaleidoscope World. But all in all the influences add up to being more than a sum of their parts, as this music is absolutely brilliant.

Twenty years ago New Zealand music captured the attention of music fans around the world. The Chills, Clean, Bats, Verlaines, Bailter Space. Unfortunately, at some point it seems that people stopped paying attention to the scene there. You have to believe that there were worthwhile projects going on. I can readily attest to that. I think if Surf City's new album is any bit as good as its first, they are going to take the world by storm. Well, maybe that statement is a little excessive. I'll say this much--this band is exciting, with a lot of potential, and I think that if you give it a fair listen you will become a big fan, as I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment