Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Halloween: Good Ghouls Don't--The Cramps' Songs The Lord Told Us

Happy Halloween everyone!!! Once I again I drag out the Cramps, the band that is my perennial Halloween mascot. And this one is my favorite of them all. Even though people are asking 50 bucks right now for Date With Elvis (right before Halloween it is a sellers market), Songs The Lord Told Us does it for me. And of course this macabre masterpiece was produced by the great Mr Alex Chilton of my prior post.

A Midwest Monster...Of The Highest Grade

The record is filled with rockabilly rave ups, zombie stomps, hormonally overloaded ballads. It's all here, B movie imagery, 50's and 60's classic music taken to the next level. When you listen to The Cramps, you realize the mythical creatures from scary stories from childhood are real. Those ghouls, zombies, werewolves, vampires are wandering the streets of your hometown. And Lux Interior is their leather-clad Pied Piper.

From top to bottom, with the exception of their exemplary cover of fever, this is one high octane ride. This is uniformly excellent, one of the great Halloween punk albums. What's Behind The Mask is my personal favorite here, with the Elvis gone berserk vocalisms of The Mad Daddy a close second. Songs The Lord Told Us is the must own album of the Cramps. Check out the song titles!!

TV Set
Rock On the Moon
Garbageman
I Was A Teenage Werewolf
Sunglasses After Dark
The Mad Daddy
Mystery Plane
Zombie Dance
What's Behind The Mask
Strychnine
I'm Cramped
Tear It Up
Fever

This should be the soundtrack to any Halloween. Don't live a deprived life--come on and do the Zombie Dance tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment