Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Shakermania!!! Hugo! Osvaldo! Pelin! Caio! Los Cuatros Fabulosos de Uruguay! Los Shakers!!!

Un Viaje Hacia El Amor
Help me out folks. For some reason this band seems familiar to me. The clothes, the hairstyles, the uptempo youthful musical style reminds me of another band whose name escapes me at the moment. Let me think....Hugo is so cute, but his brother Osvaldo is sort of a bad boy. What a scamp! Pelin is so mysterious. And of course there is good natured, fun loving Caio. Sometimes I wish that boy would get a break once in a while. The Mop Tops, the tight trousers, wait a minute....There can only be one reasonable explanation.

The Beatles ripped these guys off!!!!!


Ayer. Todos mis problemos paracido muy remoto.
We Love You Shakers, Oh Yes We Do....

It makes me so angry even today. I'm a little too young to remember, but I remember my parents telling me how we waited and waited at JFK airport for our idols to show. Unfortunately, we were the only ones there. Those four copycats from Liverpool had stolen their thunder a few weeks earlier and Mania De Los Shakers died before the plane hit the runway. I still have my tiny Shaker Boots that I wore that day. Kids used to pick on me at school because of my Los Shakers lunchbox. You would think having an empire that the sun never set upon would have been enough for the Brits. But they just had to take Uruguay's greatest legacy from them. The bastards. Perhaps the CIA was involved. It's just like when they stole The Simpsons idea from Argentinian TV. No wonder they have such a beef with Brazil on that show.

El Doh!!!!

That's why we were not allowed to have Beatles albums in our home, and I had never heard of the band until I was eleven. To add further insult, the Beatles took my personal favorite Shakers song, Boleto Para Pasear, translated the lyrics into English and made it into an international hit.

But I jest. I picked up this first album of Uruguay's Shakers, and they have to be one of the greatest Beatles inspired bands. It sounds like they conjured up the spirits of the Fab Four with a Ouija board. But of course at the time, the Beatles were all alive. Except Paul, of course. He was replaced by Hugo, and no one noticed but me. And Yoko.

This a well played collection of Beatles inspired songs--it would be funnier if they weren't so good. This band was very popular, particularly in Argentina. There is even a version of I Only Want To Be With You in French. Most of the songs here are in English, which is too bad, because I like the way they sing in Spanish, there is a much greater confidence level there.Very melodious music, really nice harmony work throughout. If you are a Beatles lunatic, you probably didn't know you need this, but you do. No border fence should keep this Riodelaplatabeat music from you. Here are some more wacky photo ops.


Bigger Than Jesús?

Los Shakers are:
Hugo Fattoruso (lead guitar & vocals,harmonica,piano)
Osvaldo Fattoruso (guitar,vocals)
Roberto "Pelin" Capobianco (bass) 
Carlos "Caio" Vila  (drums)

No comments:

Post a Comment