Sunday, August 26, 2012

Turning Curious--80's Champaign Band


Here's a quickie post, just a tune from an 80's band from Champaign-Urbana, Turning Curious fronted by Nick Rudd, who later was in Blown and Weird Summer. It was a band I had heard of before I was in Illinois, but by the time I went out there, they were no more. This is a bit of jangly pop in the vein of REM. The 1983 album Soul Light Season--actually EP-- was produced by jangle guru Mitch Easter, no less. Never made it onto compact disc, but it's still out there on vinyl for those interested. I thought it was a pretty great effort and I was disappointed that I never got to hear them play live. I can't remember precisely but I may have seen the Big Maybe, a band with Rudd, and Paul Chastain and Ric Menck of  Velvet Crush. Anyhow, I think any fan of a good pop song would approve of Soul Light Season.





Rudd also has a collection of solo work on Parasol records, One Track Mind, if this song appeals to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment