Monday, August 27, 2012

Croatian Sensations!--Kud Idijoti---Glupost Je Neunistiva

I pulled out an old CD I've had for a while by Kud Idijoti, a punk band from Pula, Croatia. Just because I don't understand a damn thing they are singing about doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the hyperspeed pop punk on this 2 album collection released by Incognito Records in 1996. Glupost Je Neunistiva--Stupidity is Indestructible. Really enjoyable melodic music in the vein of the Clash, Damned, Ramones. In a lot of cases there are team sung vocals on the choruses, giving a lot of the songs an anthemic feel. But like any good band, they can't hide the great musicianship they possess. Like the German Punks Die Toten Hosen, they incorporate other musical genres for effect; in this case like polka, hard rock, balkan horns, country music, surf rock, 50's music, kitsch. But when the day is done, these guys play punk the way its supposed to be played--with a lot of heart. And they know their way around a pop hook.

Before and After Communism


I'm trying to remember how I got this Cd. My gut tells me I bought it through Ajax records, a great mail order company/eclectic music label from Chicago. Alas, they are no more---I spent a lot of money there. Incredibly diverse music was stocked at Ajax and they also released albums by groups like East River Pipe, The Cannanes, New Zealands' This Kind of Punishment, The Mountain Goats. You kind of knew that the main impetus of the label was not about getting rich. Well, I digress....

According to their website, the band is:
Tusta: Vocals
Sale Varuda: Guitar, Bass
Bucolini Dejo: Drums

Since I don't speak the language, here are some examples of what these guys do so well. I am under the impression that a lot of their songs are politically themed.




I guess they are a very popular band in Croatia, as they should be. I went on their website, and apparently the band is on a hiatus that began last year. But this is a band well worth knowing. There are a lot of great bands that most people don't know about. For the discerning punk rocker, the world can truly be your oyster.

No comments:

Post a Comment