Saturday, August 25, 2012

Like a Version: Mumiy Troll-Western Dreams from Russia

Mumiy Troll---I don't know if their music is really my cup of tea. It sounds to me to be fairly MOR sounding rock and roll. I know that they are a very popular group in Russia. They seem to have won tons of awards in the Родина. Maybe my poor Russian language skills are causing to miss something in the lyrical content. Maybe there are some things about the music that are so intrinsically Russian that they don't translate well to an American. The singer has an almost cabaret-like charisma about him. But the music doesn't have the edge that I like.

But I found this cover interesting, because it seems to me to be a very Russian take on a bittersweet all-American sixties classic, from an entirely different perspective, with new meaning. An old Mamas and Papas song, ala Russe, a bonus track from Comrade Ambassador.




It seems as though the band is involved in a lot of worthy social causes, like dealing with the AIDS epidemic, and environmental issues in Russia. They have also created the first social network in Russia, Ikra.tv.

Not sure whether these guys are my thing musically, as I mentioned earlier. But I know that a huge country with such a fantastic literary tradition is making great music someplace. I'm searching for more Russian Rock music. I'll probably have some posts in the future with my findings. But for now, I'll be listening to this album some more. Sometimes some of my favorite albums were non-starters the first time I heard them. Maybe after a few more listens I'll come around a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment