Monday, August 20, 2012

It Could Go On Forever....Songs from the Victorious City-Jaz Coleman and Ann Dudley

The collaboration between Anne Dudley of Art of Noise and Jaz Coleman seems to be a bit of a stretch. That the collaboration was a musical blending of classical composition and Middle Eastern music is even more surprising. But the reason I am respectfully tapping away tonight about this disc is because it is a seamlessly smashing successful integration, and performed with gusto and art. Every time I listen to this album I am blown away as I was when I listened to this for the first time. I always hear something new in the mix. And a project like this must have been difficult--this project could easily have fallen on its face.



The album is about Cairo, which according to the liner notes means The Victorious City. So, it seems timely today in light of the ongoing Arab Spring to talk about this record, originally released in 1991. When I listen to the record I feel like an armchair traveler, as though I've visited a place I've never been to before. Barry Adamson has composed a number of imaginary movie soundtracks, and as much as this record has that type of feel, it would be more accurate to call this an imaginary soundtrack to a city. More Calvino than Morricone, I guess.

But don't misunderstand me; this is not a staid over-intellectualized genre exercise. The music is brimming with excitement and passion, at times lively and at other times quite poignant. The compositions are strong, and the musicianship is top rate. The use of sampling of local voices and found sounds adds to the warmth of the music. The impetus of the album was to combine the timeless eternal city of Cairo, with the Cairo of modern times.

Of course this project would not be what it was without the enthusiastic performances by the Egyptian musicians, who seem to have embraced the songs with great enthusiasm.

Anne Dudley: Keyboards
Jaz Coleman: Violin, Cobra pipe, flute
Redda Bedaire: Nai
Ibrahim Kowala: Kowala
Fouad Rohin: Violin
Amir Abd-el: Qanun
Aboud Abdel Al: Violin
Hossam Ramzy: Percussion
Tarak Aakef: Cairo Strings Conductor
Cheikh Taha: Accordian
Gilber Biberian: Guitar

After an introductory number, Endless Festival kicks in. When you listen to the song, you feel as though you were transported to a bazaar.





Another song dear to my heart is Minarets and Memories, which sounds like Arabian Salsa Music.





I think you get the idea at this point. It's a pretty brilliant conceptual album, and miles away from what you might expect from an artist in Killing Joke. Check this one out if you like what you hear.



No comments:

Post a Comment