Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Polysics!!! Listen or Die!!! Japanese synthpop chaos!!!!

I picked up some music by this Devo-lovin' synth group from Japan. Got to love the anarchic yet poppy dynamism of this band. And they have a nice sense of style with their orange jumpsuited cover. Even though I don't understand a lick of Japanese, you can feel the surrealistic spirit in their songs. I guess Polysics or Die!!!! Vista is a comp album of songs originally released in their native country. The music is noisy and fun and rocks out pretty hard. The titles of their songs are sometimes familiar pop references, but do not have anything to do with the originals, like Kaja Kaja Goo, but technology, computers, robots, I think are a common theme. They do a mutant vocodered version of "My Sharona" which is pretty interesting. "Each life each end" is a cool song with female vocals, and I really liked the drive of "Shizuka is a Machine Doctor". "NewWave Hotline" is pretty much a homage to the B-52s. They have a great satirical sense of humor in their music.To me the disc has the vibe of a good raucous party record. Musically the band is accomplished and inventive and though they play in a certain retro style, they manage to mix up the instrumentation to keep the music from becoming too samey. Definitely not music you hear every day and quite entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment