Monday, August 16, 2010

Greatest Albums??? Minutemen--Founding Fathers or Punk's Fine Howard Fine??

As I look over this beautiful land I can't help but realize I am alone-why am I able to waste my energy to notice life being so beautiful?
Maybe Partying Will Help...

Yeah, I know. You probably would say, what is the purpose of this, after all, everybody who loves creative music knows about these guys. I believe that punk rock "broke", as they say, in 1991 with the unanticipated success of Nirvana and Smells Like Teen Spirit. But its my blog and there are things that have to be said ad nauseum. I had a chance to see the Minutemen perform in town, but I was busy with schoolwork. Over Christmas break, the mighty D.Boon tragically was killed in a van accident. I'm still bummed about missing the concert, but most depressed about the loss of a great figure in rock history.

So I was surfing the net and I took a look at Rolling Stone's top 500 albums of all time list. The Minutemen's Double Nickels on the Dime Album was ranked #411 on the list. I understand that rock has been around for awhile so that only gives you about 9-10 albums a year on average, and once a great album has been charted its probably hard to unchart. But come on now. There a lot of albums I love, but this is one of the very best, up with the Clash, Wire, Ramones, Buzzcocks, well actually for me, Beatles and Stones. When the album came out, I responded to the accolades and picked it up. I really didn't get it. I also got Zen Arcade by Husker Du at around the same time which I immediately liked. Sometimes the great things are not so apparent to us. The legendary free jazz saxophonist Ornette Coleman initially was ridiculed and mocked by most jazz critics. The style was unlike anything they had heard, it was beyond their narrower parameters of what jazz is and isn't, and they were none too enamored with his cheapo plastic yellow sax. That's why you need to keep your ears open and listen first and foremost. Otherwise why bother?? Well, after listening repeatedly I wrapped my head around this record and really got it. Pure Genius and Integrity. A beautiful hodgepodge of mostly short songs, some funky, some jazzy, some angry, heartwarming, passionate, funny, intelligent, idiosyncratic, down to earth and pompous at the same time. And great tight musicianship. Boon, Watt, Hurley, San Pedro. Hey!!! get it just for the theme from "Jackass", Corona. And then listen to the whole thing!!!

When I was a teen, I picked up Rolling Stone record guide. In some ways it did me some good. I learned about the Velvet's, and John Cale's beautiful Paris 1919. But that was not too long after the outbreak of punk and I think they were up on the barricades a bit, as they had a vested interest in the established artistes of the day. Not too enamored of punk, but they liked Elvis Costello. Though I still remember the piece about the Beach Boys and am still puzzled when their main reference to Pet Sounds was that it was a commercial failure. Years later I find out that it is one of the great pop albums and enjoy its many charms. It's like the same people who say "Rap isn't music, or disco sucks". You've got to listen. It's not the taco, or the flatbread, or the rice, its the filling inside. Everything else is a vehicle, hopefully prepared properly.

I know people who identify with Bruce Springsteen's songs, maybe Led Zeppelin songs remind them of their wild youths. And that's okay, its a matter of opinions, personal taste. But the Minutemen are the guys I really feel a strange kinship too. Like their phrase, Our Band Could Be Your Life, they were the kids down the street. They are inspiring me write now as I tap on this keyboard. That was also the title of a great book about the American Indie scene of the 80's by Michael Azzerad, which has a chapter on the Minutemen. On some level they were these dopey guys from school who didn't have a clue about music (tight strings vs loose strings), never initially dreamed that they could put a record out like Rod Stewart, or Blue Oyster Cult, but then punk rock changed everything. If you put together their philosophical ideals, you probably have a pretty great Punk Rock Manifesto, describing a new world where music is part of everyday local culture, not coming from London, or New York, but maybe a few blocks away.  A band on every block. A music hall in every neighborhood like a local pub. Make your own music, let your voice be heard, make records, tour, make posters. Music and friendship, believing in yourself. A whole do it yourself aesthetic. And there really was no template back then, it was a lot harder back, to be accepted, to play in certain places in the country, getting attacked even by punks who didn't get what you were doing.

I think there are about 45 songs on this album. History Lesson Part II, is one of the great rock songs about friendship, like the Clash's "stay free". Political song for Michael Jackson to Sing is a cool and thoughtful twist on the idea of celebrity. I love the laid back blues of Jesus & Tequila and of course This Ain't No Picnic, is the great final word on working at a dogshit job. How about the great jazzy riffs of Take 5, D? Of course the Mexican pop of Corona everybody knows. Calexico actually does a really big orchestrated traditional sounding version of the song that is really good. But the thing is to listen to the album, as it is larger than its individual chapters. This is my favorite album. Then Revolver, then London Calling. This album is known to be a great album but I think it may be perfect in some crazy way. Do yourself a favor and check out the documentary film We Jam Econo, and see what an amazing bunch these guys were. It will make you want to go out and start a band, or do something, anything. See the performances, listen to Boon, & Mike Watt, George Hurley. Here the testaments made by their friends and peers. What a bunch. About the Stooges--that was one of their jokes, about their resemblence to the original Stooges. I'm surprised they have never had one of those comparison of body types and personality in the National Enquirer. Are you a Larry? Larrys' are prying and gossipy. Moes' are dominant & aggressive. Curlys' are carefree and unserious dreamers. Anyway to answer the question in my heading, the answer is obvious--they were both and greater for it.

A few years back I read about an Italian music critic named Scaruffi who had a voluminous website and also wrote a rather thick book about rock music in the New York Times. I was intrigued by claims about the songwriting prowess of the Kink's Ray Davies. To the detriment of Lennon-McCartney. I actually kind of like the Beatles a lot, as do many people. Reading his book I was a bit surprised at his opinions regarding the Beatles. But I get it, though I can't say I am in agreement. He views the Beatles and other highly touted bands like Radiohead as popularizers and as such unoriginal, standing on the shoulders of creative, ground breaking artists. But so much time and space is taken up with the legacies of the Stones, Led Zeppelin, Dylan, the Beatles, that a lot is ignored or trivialized. Some of the best magazines from England like Uncut or Mojo, still have their covers graced every month with John Lennon, or Keith Richards or Pink Floyd!! Isn't anything  happening currently more interesting or saleable today?? Its like a newspaper going back and featuring the Watergate break in on its front page 35 years later. Maybe some of these untouchable redwoods need to be pruned a bit so that other worthy bands can see a little sunlight. Though I think that there is a lot to said for Beatles and Radio head. He also seems to think that musical works can be criticized completely objectively. I don't think that in ten lifetimes I would go along with that premise. People are different and they are going to appreciate different things. Popular concensus is in some ways a stumbling block to elucidation of the truth, yet his consensus is different because he happens to be right, for he has the proper credentials. I just don't buy it. I rely on the advice of others, but at the end of the day I listen as open mindedly as I can, knowing my views are not the end all. His website is worth checking out though if you want to find out about some interesting innovative music--and I got a lot out of his book, though even at that length the amount of bands referred made the book not long enough to go into detail on some topics, just name checking bands for possible future research. But he gives a shout out to a lot of interesting music. He's written some good things about the great New Zealand artist Roy Montgomery, who is one of my favorite underappreciated/unknown performers. (get Temple IV if you can!!)

Iron-Fisted philosophy-is your life worth a painting? Being Born is Power...

...At the wholeness that's way too big.

"Political Song For Michael Jackson to Sing"






No comments:

Post a Comment