Saturday, August 14, 2010

Classic Underappreciated Record: The Triffid's Born Sandy Devotional--Drinking to get Maudlin, or Drinking to get Numb?

There was a time when I would buy a record for little apparent reason. Sometimes it might have something to do with the album cover, or very minimal information. Albums were a lot cheaper than cds became back in that era. And sometimes I have been really rewarded with really great music.

I bought this album  Born Sandy Devotional by The Triffids, on vinyl when I was going to school in Illinois back in the mid-80's. There was a great record store in town, The Record Stop in Champaign-Urbana, where lps would contain tiny reviews written in pen on a tiny paper sticker attached to the plastic cover. Usually the brief reviews succinctly told you the basics of what you were holding, whether a quick snapshot "aggressive Chicago style Punk", or referential, "new project by Lydia Lunch". In this case, one day while browsing the bins I encountered this album with a very interesting cover that was given a very high recommendation. The title seemed peculiar to me, but I was quite taken with the cover image, an aerial view of a silty Australian river delta. I picked it up, not precisely what I expected it to be (sadder, mellower). But it definitely grew on me after a few spins, and I listened to it repeatedly, the songs being so good that I would keep listening to the A side again & again. And today it still is one of my favorite records, probably my favorite aussie record.

Even though I'm not Australian, I feel like there is something particularly Australian about this album. This recording seems to give me insight to a place that I don't have a familiarity with. The album has a certain coherency to it not unlike a concept album, a beginning, progression, an ending and a coda. Almost like an Australian road trip or a cross section of tales that some adds up to a basic insight into the human condition. There is a an almost cabaret atmosphere at times, sometimes a vibe resembling a religious revival, other times just an evocative emotional tension, with the darkness you might expect on a Nick Cave/Bad Seeds album.

The album begins with a bang, the superb epic song The Seabirds with the great dramatic use of strings & David McComb's evocative lyrics, probably my favorite song on the album. There is no song that I don't like on this brief album (the reissue on domino has extras), but highlights are Estuary Bed, Lonely Stretch, the amazing Wide Open Road, Life Of Crime, Stolen Property, & the closer Tender Is The Night. Sadly David McComb passed away at the untimely age of 36. Fortunately he recorded other Triffids albums and though Born Sandy Devotional is in my opinion the best work, the other albums are well worth checking out.

Brilliant arrangements & unusual instrumentation (strings,vibes,heavy keyboards), dramatic lyrics, one of the great Australian albums. Great vocals by David McComb & Jill Birt (on Tarillup Bridge & Tender is the Night).The songs seem to elevate ordinary lives, day to day happenings, to epic events, a creation of high artistic achievement. If I had to only pick 5 Australian albums to own, this would definitely be one of them. If you love great music, pick this up, and you will be well rewarded.



No comments:

Post a Comment