Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Exploding Hearts--Guitar Romantic---Tragic Pop-Punk from Portland

I don't know how I heard about these guys, but I picked up this album and loved it. After I listened to the CD a lot, I had to find out more about these guys. When I went to their website, I saw a wreath on the web page. Turned out that not too long before I checked this, the band was returning to Portland, Oregon from a gig in Seattle and 3 of the 4 band members were killed. I couldn't believe it. They just put out their first record, a punky pop gem.

Adam Cox, the lead singers sounds just like Mick Jones. And he sounds like he's being backed by the Undertones. But that was it. All over for them. What a sad sad circumstance. It seems to happen all too much in the music world. A band with a lot of unfulfilled potential.

This was a Dirtnap records release, and it seems to fit into the style of  music they release, infectious, high energy punk. Even the artwork of the CD emulates the style of the early punk days. Opening up, Modern Kicks is a great song with chiming guitar. Thorns in Roses is the 3rd track and is probably my favorite song on the album. Sleeping Aides and Razor Blades is another winner. The album is full of winners. Rumors In Town, I'm a Pretender, Still Crazy, Boulevard Trash, Throwaway Style are all worthy. Some are revved up 50's tunes like Jailbird, and others are reminiscent of the New York Dolls, like Boulevard Trash.

To sum up, probably one of the better pop-punk albums of the last decade. Is it one of the great seminal punk rock albums? No, it's quite derivative. But if you like that style its well worth picking up--they are a terrific band that should not be forgotten about.

No comments:

Post a Comment