Monday, October 7, 2013

Transistors Is This Anything? Punk Pop you Need to Know Now People

Finally got a hold of the Transistors is This Anything?, the Rangiora band's 2nd album, which was released this August on Arch Hill. I found an on-line retailer, Newzealandcds.com, which is actually a music store in New Zealand, and they have been very accommodating to me. Even when individual records advertised on the site are no longer in stock, are hard-to-find, and in many cases out of print, they have gone out of their way to locate them for me when possible. Nice people, very knowledgeable. I found them as a link on David Kilgour's webpage. Though Is This Anything? was not yet available on their site (they are in the process of updating their webpage), they got copies in stock after a request from me. It's why record stores can be so great.

Define anything....


I did a little blurb on the Transistors, when I heard Your Life Can Be So Easy on YouTube. I was so excited with the song that I could not wait to post something. Punk Pop Perfection, and a funny video to boot, with spoofs of advertising that hearkens back to the original wave of punks the 1970's and early 80's. They sound like a band that would be at home on the Dirtnap Records label.

Now that I have the entire record in my possession, I can say that this album is a beautiful thing. High energy punk pop. If you like things like, say Manchester's Buzzcocks (who they opened for on their New Zealand tour), Wire's Pink Flag, or The Clash's Green Album, or more recent bands like the sorely missed Exploding Hearts from Portland, you will find some infectious new music that you will not be able to stop playing. I even hear a little Mission of Burma in some of the music. I've listened to the album 3 times today already.

Is This Anything? is strong from beginning to end. Your Life Could Be So Easy is a marvel, but that is one great song alongside another 5 great songs. This is my favorite Punk Album of the year so far, though it does not appear to be getting the notice other New Zealand bands are receiving internationally, like Surf City, Naked and Famous. Sure they have not developed their own new unique sound, but the songs are all terrific, full of energy, but not samey sounding. The last song on the album, Dirty Diver,  has a real classic New Zealand Flying Nun sound to it--perhaps its just the reverb on the vocals. I've already listed the two aforementioned videos on my previous post so here are some more great songs!









So, all you punk rockers, check out the Transistors Is This Anything? and get on this seemingly nonexistant bandwagon that I am on. Arch Hill Records, BandCamp or the Flying Out consortioum webpage will gladly assist you, as will the aforementioned NewZealandRecords. com, i.e., a real record store.

As I said before this is one enjoyable album that has been in heavy rotation here at T-Funk since yesterday. Don't hesitate.

No comments:

Post a Comment