Sunday, October 27, 2013

Goodbye Sweet Lou......The Velvet Underground spawned Multitudes

Not a lot to say here, since its so very obvious to most music fans. The Velvet Underground were a very important band to me. As I listened to the new music back in the 80's, I looked back and acquainted myself with the Velvet Underground.

Sure they were a contrast to the Peace and Love era of the 1960's, revealing a grittier, less idealistic, and more realistic view of the world. But they also were incredibly poignant, sad, remarkably astute.

I guess to me they revealed an intellectual side to rock music that I hadn't seen or noticed before. They were artists in the highest (and lowest) sense. And while they rocked out, I also appreciated both their incredible subtlety and experimentalism. And while they did not move sales like their predecessors, but they were the inspiration to several generations of great bands and musical movements.

Lou Reed will be greatly missed. My last memory of him was being on stage with Metallica and truthfully he looked like a fish out of water. Maybe it was the best pair up they could put together that day.

Not being a a master of the obvious, here's a nice cover of a Velvets classic. From the box set.
Back in February I also posted Whipping Boy covering Candy Says (one of my favorite songs), if anybody is interested.


No comments:

Post a Comment