Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Minneapolis on the Mersey!!! The Beatifics--The Way We Never Were!

I think that I first found out about The Beatifics on AllMusic by seeing them as being related to another band I was getting info about. I picked both of their albums a while ago, and they are definitely manna for the pop aficionado. Minneapolis seems to have a knack for growing great bands.




It would be a little unfair to characterize these guys as merely competent musicians playing around in the Beatles sandbox. As to the Beatifics' sound I referring specifically to the influence of the early Fab variety Beatles, rather than their beardy later years. Certainly, the songs are really much more than that of course. But there is a sort of that Liverpool vibe to their songs---perhaps its Chris Dorn's voice. The album I am discussing today is The Way We Never Were, the band's 2nd album, released on The Bus Stop Label in 2002.



Certainly they can be compared very favorably to bands like 60's influenced groups The Smithereens, Teenage Fanclub, or Velvet Crush. Dorn knows his way around a pop hook. Some of the songs are quite reminiscent of the first Pernice Brothers album, melodious but melancholy and bolstered with strings. But probably not recorded on a big budget. Actually, the liner notes reveal that it was recorded in a variety of studios and homes. But the album sounds better than what a lot of big label acts have done.

This album came out 6 years after How I Learned to Stop Worrying, and by that time The Beatifics were were more of a one man show. People who collaborated with on this album are Jacques Wait, Randy Seals (Beatifics drummer), Keely Lane, Eric Kassel, and Andy Schultz.

The song below is actually from their In The Meantime ep:



Don't know what became of Chris Dorn after The Beatifics, but I am happy that these albums found their way to me. I like groups like the Gordons, Albert Ayler, or Tuvan throat singing as much as the next guy, but I grew up listening to massive amounts of AM Radio. To this day, I find a great pop song irresistible. These songs may not change the world, but they definitely can change your mood for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment