Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Moon is a Blabbermouth... Trash Can Sinatras; Still Making Beautiful Music--Fez

Rio Rico
I saw the Trash Can Sinatras about twenty years ago at CBGB's with my friend, the real "world's most interesting man", aka, the 10th Yankee--i.e., the only guy who gets away with calling Derek Jeter "pretty boy". It was a different world back then for them. They were a real sensation at the time--their first album had been released to positive acclaim and these young lads from Kilmarnock Scotland had crossed the pond to tour the US for the first time.


One thing I remembered was the audience. There were many interested musicians in the audience that night. This band had piqued the interest of more than the American listening public. Of course I didn't notice these guys at all, but my friend  quickly clued me in. Apparently there were some Buzzcocks and Replacements there in the crowd. And I briefly met David J of Love and Rockets/Bauhaus fame, basically saying hi. I would not have done that except that one of the guys I went to the show with saw him and basically grabbed him by the collar and would not let him get away. David seemed to be a nice chap, and definitely politer than he should have been. In his career I suppose he has dealt with overexcited fans.

Frankly I thought the Sinatras were decent, but they didn't bowl me over live. But I did love that first album--Obscurity Knocks is an absolutely beautiful pop song, a song that still makes me smile when I hear it. I thought that they were surely destined for greatness. Unfortunately, the band has had its share of troubles, one of which was its record label going out of business shortly after the release of their third album. Though they are not household names, they are still out and about, putting out occasional albums and touring. I tried to seem again them in the past, but usually by the time I found out about a gig at a small venue like Maxwell's in Hoboken, it had long been sold out. In places like the US and Japan they have a fiercely loyal fan base. I know one of their fans basically ran a web site and selling their merch for them during their leaner times when they were an unsigned band. In more recent years I can only attribute missing out on their shows to my own sloth. I believe they just completed an acoustic tour as I speak.

The Band (on Fez)
John Douglas: Guitar
Stephen Douglas: Drums
Davy Hughes: Bass
Paul Livingston: Guitar
Francis Reader: Vocals

So tonight I am discussing the lovely live album from 2004, recorded by the band at the now defunct club Fez. The official title is Fez: Acoustic Performances from New York City--December 2004. The album is a beautiful piece of mellow gold, beautifully recorded, so intimate that you feel like they are playing in your living room. Francis Reader has the voice of an angel, and in this unadorned setting his vocals and the group harmonies are out front and center. In these stripped back renditions of their catalogue (including songs from their then new album Weightlifting) you can understand what great songs this band has written. You hear the first few cuts here and you truly wish that you had been there that night. It was a good night. Obscurity Knocks may not be performed in the set, but don't let that deter you from this heavenly, romantic recording. It's the perfect starting point to discover this band.



Because it is a nice career survey. You have songs like All The Dark Horses and Freetime from Weightlifting. But you have tunes from their other three albums, like How Can I Apply..., Hayfever, Best Man's Fall, or Got Carried Away. One of my favorites is the sublime ballad Safecracker, though Only Tongue Can Tell and Leave Me Alone are not far behind.




If you check out the band's website, there are a pile of recordings for sale, which are only available there, in addition to DVD's, shirts, etc. There are also tabs and chords for many of the bands songs and all the latest news and gossip. In 2010 they released their most recent album, entitled In The Music,their first in 5 years. I haven't picked it up yet, but I've seen some very positive reviews. Hopefully they will be able to put albums out with more frequency in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment