Sunday, March 27, 2011

Latest News From Tarrytown-I Wish I Was The Moon Tonight: Billy Bragg Cancels Remainder Of Tour, Neko Case Heroically Saves Day

Thought I would quickly mention what I did tonight. About 3 months ago I bought a ticket to see Billy Bragg/Mavis Staples at the Tarrytown Music Hall. I was very excited about this concert and was looking forward to that evening.

Unfortunately, due to an unfortunate family emergency, Billy was forced to cancel his last tour dates. Word is that his mother has pancreatic cancer and is not doing well. Very sad. So while I am disappointed that I missed out on his performance, I am very happy that he is where he needs to be right now. My best wishes, for what they are worth, go out to his family in this trying period. One of my all time favorite performers and individuals.



Hello, Wisconsin!!!
The great Chanteuse Neko Case volunteered to fill in as an opening act for Grammy Award winning singing legend Mavis Staples. The Music Hall gave ticket holders the option of a refund, but honestly turning down hearing Neko Case sing could get me institutionalized. As Mavis tacitly stated what every man woman and child in the theatre was thinking, "She has the voice of an angel". Her singing is pure narcotic bliss, the best legal medication you could purchase. So good she will probably get banned in one of our "Red States". I saw her perform at Tarrytown with Kelly Hogan's backing vocals and the combined double onslaught was too much for my ears. Luckily I was far enough from the stage--otherwise I might have come out a stupor a few hours later to find I had loaded all their gear on their truck for them like a zombified worker ant.

Tonight it was just Neko and extraordinary guitarist Jon Rauhouse. And that was plenty. It's not like you want to smother a prime cut of steak with ketchup, you know. But he was terrific accompaniement, in his rakish hat and jaunty vest, picking, plucking, and surrounding us with sonic soundscapes. He is pretty much Vudi to her Mark Eitzel. I say this because during the concert I was inexplicably fantasizing about her doing a crazy duet album with the American Music Club frontman ala Mark Lanegan and Isobel Campbell. How amazing and wild would that be! She, like Mark is an accomplished songwriter, many her songs resembling historic folk recordings, the only difference being that the subject matter actually reflects the thoughts an feelings of a real woman. So in summation,  if I was weaving on my way North from Tarrytown this evening it was not from alcohol it was from sonic intoxication. Or simply music soothing the savage beast. I think tonight we were all a little bit Canadian.



And I also enjoyed the Mavis Staples set. She is a tiny powerhouse, with a strong stage prescence and commanding vocal abilities. She was accompanied by a crack three piece band and three backup singers.
She had a wonderful way of communing with audience making us all feel like we were part of the show, like we were all sharing something. Her act was a joyful mix of entertainment, religious gospel, social justice and fortitude. She seemed like genuinely great lively person, quick to ad-lib with the crowd, who showed the audience great love, which we gave back with no remorse. She told some great stories and anecdotes--by the end of the show I had become completely testificated by her enthusiastic sermons.

My only regret was that there was not very much interaction between Neko and Mavis. I had heard that Billy Bragg and Mavis did their own sets and then came out and performed together as a finale. Neko only came out and performed a verse of the Band's The Weight during her set. (I completely forgot that the Staples Singers were performers in The Last Waltz concert. Ms. Case came out and tried to sneak around Mavis, but that wasn't about to happen--she wound up giving Neko a humongous hug. I would have enjoyed seeing how Billy and Mavis would have interacted as it must have been a very special tour. Of course, Neko's coming in at the 11th hour would have precluded any elaborate collaborations. But despite the tragic circumstance, an entertaining time was had in Tarrytown tonight. And the sound quality was pristeen, as I have come to expect when I visit this historic theatre. Good night everybody. And do yourself a favor--get out and support the Arts. You will be rewarded for your good efforts.




Correction: Sadly,Billy Bragg's mother passed away on March 19. Condolences to Billy and his family and friends. For a temporary Bragg fix I noticed that on his web site he has for sale a Live at the Barbican double CD that kindly does not edit out the wonderful between-song-monologues that he is celebrated for. And reasonably priced at 9 pounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment