Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Hugo Simberg--Remarkable Finnish Folk Fantastist

Hugo Simberg (1873-1917)was an artist I knew nothing of until I saw some of his art in a Helsinki Art Gallery when I was on vacation in Finland. It's always very satisfying for me to find out about a new interesting artist when I go to visit a museum. His art was a strange mix of folk art and surrealism, magic and everyday life. When I go to an art museum I usually have a reason to go, but when I am there I try to keep an open mind and look at what other artists have to offer. When I am in another country I try to get to an art museum because I know that there usually is something wonderful that is just off the beaten path. In general, I know what I like, but sometimes I don't realize it until I see it in front of me. According to Wikipedia this picture was voted Finland's National Painting in 2006.

The Wounded Angel
It's kind of a strange painting, grim, traditional in style, but completely arresting and imaginative subject matter. And there is something about this painting that is evocatively Finnish. It seems to be almost on the cusp of different genres and eras.

Check this one out.


Garden Of Death
I don't know what the symbolism of this painting is, but it definitely caught my eye, reminiscent to me of Edvard Munch's The Scream and Ingmar Bergman's Seventh Seal. Yet in a way the dead seem pretty happy going about their gardening in the way senior citizens manicure their grassy lawns here. Definitely sends some mixed messages.

Hugo is definitely an artist to check out--he has quite a few other unusual painting involving devils, trolls and the like, the extraordinary intruding on everyday life. It seems like Simberg based his art on traditional themes and then took off in different directions. I think there is definitely bravery involved when you follow a unique path. It is not uncommon to see similarly styled paintings when you go to certain art museums so it was really refreshing to see a new perspective among schools and genres of art. So go check out a museum--and bring your kids along.

No comments:

Post a Comment