Thursday, April 14, 2011

It's Hockey Playoff Time (and we're all a little wobbly off skates, even sober)--Hanson Brothers---Sudden Death

Yeah, I like hockey. If not for financial reasons, I'd still be playing in a glorified beer league. But, hey, it's my beer-addled glory, dammit. I've been hit in the head enough times not to know when to quit. I've had some great times playing in tournaments in Canada--we only had problems when we had to face real Canadians. It's like trying to beat a fish in a swimming contest. Since the playoffs have started (my Rangers just lost a hard fought battle against the Caps in OT.) I thought it would be appropriate to do a posting on my favorite hockey punk album. Yes the mighty mighty Hanson Brothers.


My other band is sniffin' glue

Everybody likes a good homage.


The Hansons are a spin-off of No Means No, a Vancouver Punk institution if there ever was one. It was an opportunity to indulge themselves in a three chord orgy of loud fast punk pop. If they had a Smurfs on Ice, why not a Ramones on Ice? I think in my dotage I would like to just form a side band and skip the real band altogether. The Hansons have few albums out, but this one is my favorite, as it is more hockey centric than their first album. Connecticut's Zambonis are a cool band and are wittier, but these guys have a visceral edge on the other Puck rockers.

So much to applaud on this album--for those Americans who love hockey, you know how normal people get when you start talking about the sport--they get that scared look in their eyes and start looking around for a fire exit, or an open window. Listen to their wonderful rendition of Stompin' Tom Connors The Hockey Song that is the start of this punk rock juggernaut. You'll never look back.

Next up is Stick Boy, about a bench warmer who's itching to show the world what he can do. Another fine fine tune is a tribute to hockey mania, namely Rink Rat. Other Hockeyesque numbers are Danielle (She Don't Care About Hockey) (you might even know a woman or two who are in the same boat) and Third Man In.



Of course, you are saying, that's all well and good, but this album needs more hockey tunes. I didn't mention the mainly instrumental album ending stomp Sudden Death. But I waited till the end to mention the hockey grail, the Stairway To Heaven of all hockey songs. That's right folks. He Looked A Lot Like Tiger Williams.
It's all you need to know. If you love hockey and Ramones like you love chocolate mixed with peanut butter, you need this in your arsenal, especially at times like this, when your obviously crazy girlfriend is trying to get you to shave your playoff beard. I often cry when I listen to this inspiring song.

If there is a God above,
I know that he must be
The kind of guy who's tough enough
To deal with punks like me

He won't take no excuses
He'll be tough but he'll be fair
And when I go to my reward
I hope to see him there

I'll bet he looks like Tiger Williams
He'll be brave and strong and true
But if you try to cross him
He will put a hurt on you.

I bet if you didn't know where this came from, you would assume it was an unfamiliar psalm.

Now get out there and clear the crease, ya pencil necks!!


This post is for my friend and #1 hockey hating homeboy





No comments:

Post a Comment