Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Gruff Rhys told me......Ail Symudiad--Yr Oes Ail---80's Welsh Language New Wave

I think it was in Uncut Magazine, where Gruff Rhys, front man for Welsh superband Super Furry Animals gave a plug to Ail Symudiad, a Welsh New Wave band from Cardigan.

Parti Dawns Cymraeg!


I thought was a recent reissue but was having a little trouble finding it from the usual suspects. Turned out the bands recordings are readily available on Welsh label Fflach's website. I thought that it would be cool to hear some Welsh language New-Wave so I went out and got me some.

Yr Oes Ail is the first compilation of their music--there are 2 others. And this is not a recent reissue, but from 2002. This is pretty solid punk-pop music along the lines of The Undertones, snappy pop, though without the unique vocals of a Feargal Sharkey.

Maybe Gruff Rhys was helping to promote the band's new release which actually did come out fairly entitled Rifiera Gymrieg. It turns out the band has basically remained together, performing gigs locally but not releasing any new material for many years. Certainly Rhys does a fair share of giving props to Welsh language music, earlier rock and folk bands, not to mention the Goldie Lookin' Chain. And certainly with SFA's Welsh album Mwng-the pipe smoking goat album, his earlier band Ffa Coffi Pawb, he has certainly directly championed the cause. And if you haven't heard his solo Hotel Shampoo yet, well you should--because it's pretty terrific!




Yr Oes Ail was created for home consumption basically, so there are no English translations of the lyrics. I find that I don't need them to enjoy the music. I think they are a decent band considering I don't have the benefit of knowing what they are singing about! Never stopped me before.

Whisgi a Soda--I think I know what this means, but I'm still surprised that there aren't more y's and multiple consonsants strung together in the words. It almost feels like a trick.



So thank Gruff for the tip. So I thought I would pass the favor along and present my impressions of the band conveniently just in time for Christmas shopping.

Remember that "help will always be given at Continuum Transfunctioner to those who deserve it".


No comments:

Post a Comment