Sunday, July 22, 2012

The Windbreakers Time Machine Compilation

The Windbreakers were a great rock band from Jackson, Mississippi. I first heard about them through a good grade received in Robert Christgau's music column in the Village Voice. So at some point I made a trip down to Midnight Records on West 23rd Street, and got some of their vinyl. Good jangly pop music--I probably knew them before I became acquainted with REM. And despite their lack of commercial success, I consider them to be one of most important groups of the new Southern Pop Music, best known by the aforementioned group from Athens, Ga. But other groups like Pylon, Let's Active, dB's, and the Windbreakers also made some great music, music that probably grew from a trickle from the legacy of Big Star to Mitch Easter's garage, to fully fledged musical scenes.



It's strange that I just picked up a copy of the Windbreakers Bobby Sutliff's first solo album, Only Ghosts Remain. A very enjoyable pop album with a nice Byrdsified cover of Small Town Romance by beret-wielding guitar savant Richard Thompson. Then I heard the terrible news while thinking about doing a Windbreakers post.

Bobby Sutliff was in a major car accident last month, suffering serious injuries. Although he has health insurance for medical expenses, they expect that it will be a long road to recovery, with extensive rehabilitation. His co-partner in the Windbreakers, Tim Lee, has established a chip in fund, for anyone who is a friend, acquaintance, fellow musician, or simply someone who appreciates the great music made. If you want to help, this is an easy way to make a difference. I don't personally know the band, but I have a great appreciation for the Windbreakers, as a band and as to their solo material. And as I tap the keyboard, a benefit tribute album is being planned. I know word is out across the Internet, but for a good cause like this repetition is a good thing.



I strongly endorse The Windbreakers compilation Time Machine, which cover their output from 1982-2002, including new two songs recorded for this release. The Cd was released on the Paisley Pop label in Portland, Oregon. My only quibble is that it is only one disc.




Listen to these tunes and I think you'll get an idea of the quality of the music these guy made, and if you have the means despite these tough financial times, I'm sure even a small amount to help a worthy musician would be appreciated. If you aren't familiar with the band but like the new southern pop sound of the 80's, Time Machine will leave you impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment