Sunday, July 1, 2012

Junebug--An puzzlingly unsigned band from Wales

I picked up this Junebug album a few years ago. I was intrigued by some positive plug of them I found in a power pop blog, probably Power Pop Overdose. They play a pleasing collection of Bubblepunk on their first album. Fans of Teenage Fanclub, Velvet Crush, The Knack, their superb Welsh predecessors The Pooh Sticks will be more than satisfied with these tunes. A good upbeat album for a long hot summer.



As I stated in the heading these Welsh Popsters are still unsigned. I picked up their first album entitled "First" from CDBaby for a pittance. I just checked CDBaby for Junebug inventory, and now they have 5 self-released albums, going the Chicago route, titling them Two, Three, Four, and Five. I hope they make double digits.


JuneBug is from North Wales and they are:

Ralph Latham: Guitar and Vocals
Guy Latham: Bass, Keyboards, & Guitars
Warren Gilbert: Drums, Percussion

It's hard to believe that some pop-oriented label hasn't given them a shot. Maybe it's the economy. Maybe they are doing just fine on their own. In any event these guys sound pretty terrific to me.
If you like great pop music like I do, done with creativity and panache, with decades of musical styles blended into the mix, the music of Junebug will put a smile on your face.


No comments:

Post a Comment