Thursday, July 14, 2011

Will Work for Cake--Jon Auer--The Birthday Party

The Birthday Party is a limited edition "unplugged" album by Jon Auer of the Posies recorded for "Cath" on June 1st, 2002, the day before my own birthday.


It's my Birthday too, almost....




The Posies, Jon Auer and Ken Stringfellow, Seattle's Forster and MacLennan of Power Pop, are one of my favorite pop bands. The now defunct label and on-line shoppe for all things pop-worthy, Not Lame, was selling this and I managed to procure a copy of this quite excellent album. Not Lame was the label that put out a  4 disc box set of Posies rarities, live tracks, demos, etc At Least At Last. Auer and Stringfellow were also one half of Big Star 2.0. Their musical ability definitely qualified for the role. The harmonizing on their records takes a back seat to no one. Any one who has heard their versions of "Feel" or "I Am The Cosmos" knows that they can channel Big Star to such an extent that only a Ouija board could outdo them now.


June 1st, 2002--Artist's rendition (Watch those hands Glenn!)

On this night half of the dynamic duo, Jon Auer played an acoustic set for friends. The atmosphere is warm and casual, with occasional laughter. Auer mixes some of his originals with Posies classics and  a variety of cover songs. Even in the middle of someone's living room, he's a real pro, making it all appear way too easy.
Definitely my kind of birthday entertainment; I've gone way past the clowns and magicians stage of life. Even bowling and miniature golf doesn't get my mojo going anymore.



He sings a few of my favorite Posies tracks in subdued fashion, like Flavor of the Month, Suddenly Mary, and I May Hate You Sometimes, all enjoyably done. Sad to Be Aware is particularly poignant. I probably have the most fun hearing the covers though. He does a magnificent rendering of Alex Chilton's ballad Thirteen three songs in, and I was very glad I picked this up. Maybe my favorite moment is his take on Elvis Costello's Beyond Belief, from E's underrated Tin Pan Alley album Imperial Bedroom. Hearing Jon work the intricate vocal cadences on this song was a real treat. An unusual but apt choice was Beautiful Stranger by Madonna, which he does a dark reworking of here. And I was quite pleased to see that he is a Grant Hart fan, of the 80's legends Husker Du. Green Eyes is a great ballad that I never tire of hearing, and Auer does not disappoint.



Overall a nice performance for some lucky friends. And luckily it was recorded for posterity.

No comments:

Post a Comment