Sunday, July 31, 2011

Kandinsky Art Exhibit at Burger King....sort of

I was in a foul mood at work a few weeks ago and needed to clear my head a little, so I went out to lunch. Normally, I'm not a big fan of fast food, but once every six months or so I feel the need to eat something greasy and unhealthy. Believe me, I have read Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser, so I know this urge is irrational, just as all smokers today know that cigarettes do in fact kill.

So I went to a nearby Burger King. Home of the Whopper. We're a nation of Whoppers.

After I ordered and got my meal, I went to find a seat. But something seemed a little odd, and it took me a little bit of time to figure it out.

The whole fast food restaurant was filled with Kandinsky prints! That's one of the artists that really stood out to me when I first visited the Museum of Modern Art in New York. I had heard the name before, having studied Russian/Soviet history a bit in school. But when I saw his works for the first time, I could see that he was a man who was onto something special, and I feel the same way about Marc Chagall.

At first I was pretty surprised, and then I found it all pretty comforting. It certainly made my day a lot more than a greasy burger and fries. Why these paintings were there and who made the decision to fill a fast food joint with early 20th Century Russian abstract masterpieces remains a mystery to me. But I'm sort of torn. My head tells me to return again soon, but my heart says, hey buddy, watch the cholesterol!

No comments:

Post a Comment