Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Danbury--First there were hats...Then There Was Rock--Monsterland--Destroy What You Love

Certainly most of you cognoscenti out there know that in the mid-1800's, no city was manufacturing more hats then Danbury, Connecticut. Sure, you've heard about the Susquehanna Hat factory from the famous Abbott & Costello skit, but Susquehanna had nothing on this town. But, wait, there's more. A great band emerged from the rubble of the once thriving millinery industry. These days they may seem unheralded, forgotten by the next generations of musics, but I tell you they existed, that they once roamed freely on the stages of clubs of Western Connecticut. I tell you truly; Monsterland was real.


Doesn't Henry Rollins have a tattoo like this?

Monsterland was a trio formed in the early 90's in a town roughly 45 minutes from my hometown, Danbury, where I would occasionally visit to purchase hockey equipment from the excellent store on Route 7 just past Costco. When I was a toddler I used to go to the giant annual fair there, which is now buried beneath a shopping mall just off of I-95. Danbury also heralded the beginning of my commute to College--Connecticut was the state I had to drive through to get to Worcester Mass, through the aforementioned Hat Town, through ancient Waterbury and past their now defunct religious amusement park Holy Land USA, and finally coming to a screeching halt in traffic in sprawling Hartford. (They have reduced a lot of that problem in more recent years). Even though the state was the source of my commuting frustrations, I can find little fault with the beautiful noise this band briefly made just across state lines.

Monsterland was comprised of Thom Monahan (vocals, bass), Greg Vegas (guitar, vocals) and Todd Cronin (drums), and they were around from 1991-1994. Destroy What You Love was their only full length album, and it is quite good. They remind me of a bunch of old alternative bands from the era, Sonic Youth, Husker Du, My Bloody Valentine, Dinosaur Jr., Mission of Burma drumbeats. But they also have a pop element to their sound, like The Posies, or early period Sloan. You can pick this album and two of their eps (Loser Friendly and At One With Time) up dirt cheap, and they are well  worth getting acquainted with. When you hear their best songs you wonder why they were not more successful. But on this blog I find I am saying this a lot about some great bands.



You know, woulda coulda shoulda...been Contendahs.

I first heard about this band because in a review of this album, I learned that they did a cover of Bailter Space's astounding tune Fisheye. When I heard that, I assumed that these guys were kindred spirits, as I was and am a big fan of those Kiwi ear-bludgeoners. If I had a musical time machine, going back to see the band when they were known as The Gordons would be pretty high on my list. And my suspicions were confirmed when I listened to this album. Glorious noise and pop smarts as harmonious as a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup.

Of course, while they do a credible job on Fisheye, its not quite the match of the hard sleek pop of the original. Their originals are where they truly shine, like on the opening song, Insulation. Simply a shoe-gazing juggernaut. Makes my ears tingle happily.





Maybe the best song on the album is the shimmering Lobsterhead, which is in the vein of Amherst's Dinosaur, Jr. Greg Vegas does a great job throughout the album wringing out a inventive variety of guitar sounds. I still feel embarrassed that a band this good was in my area and I never knew about it until it was too late. Another thing I like about this album is that the songs don't overstay their welcome--some shoegaze bands have fairly lengthy songs. At their longest, the songs here are four minutes and change, which is enough time to develop an idea and fade out.

Other favorite here are the pummelling Angel Scraper, The Sloany Twice at The End, and the riff rockin Clashing Teenage Crush. But there isn't much not to love here. The band sounds so great. They are really peers of the better known bands I have compared them to. I don't know about the other guys, but Thom Monahan was a member of the amazing Pernice Brothers for a number of years. I wonder what happened to Greg Vegas, because the guitar is pretty superlative here. Even if things didn't work out here, you would imagine his talent would be shining elsewhere. Anyway, if you've never heard these guys and liked the bands I've mentioned, or the shoegazing scene, I am confident that you will enjoy this album a lot.

2 comments:

  1. strangest thing...that video is shot in the basement of the house owned by the manager of that hockey store on route 7. He was roommates with one of the band and that was their practice space.

    weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. red faced and humbled on such nice words. thnx for remembering. too bad we didn't get press like this when we were around.
    Thom is now a producer to many great bands these days.
    myself- after a very brief stint heading EXPLODEE on guitar(1 rare track was released) -I switched to saxophone primarily- in Danbury area based THE HAT CITY INTUITIVE a improv/noise band and released a handful of albums(last on Ecstatic Peace with Thurston Moore). i still like to make noise. otherwise i guide other musicians in navigating their careers these days.
    thnx
    Greg Vegas

    ReplyDelete