Monday, February 13, 2012

Big Town, Small Friends, Fast Food, Split Ends!! Street Chant---Means

Sometime it's hard to find.
Street Chant's Means album is the best new thing I've heard so far this year, and it's not really so new. This New Zealand trio has got to be one of the best groups today. I bought this a while ago, but never got around to hearing it until this morning. The white hot energy on this disc has me completely blown away! Beautifully noisy as hell, innovative, but enough hooks to satisfy an arena of power pop aficionados. Arch Hill Records has done it again, albeit in 2010. Just like me to be on top of things.....



And like labelmate Surf City, it's great to see the musical continuity from the great Kiwi bands of the past to today. Clearly musicians in New Zealand have spent time spinning the classics from their parents' old records. And although you can see the influences of NZ legendary groups like 3D's, Chills, Clean, Look Blue Turn Purple, there is a lot more at work here. So much talent in this group that I'm already looking forward to their next recordings. Emily Littler is on shredding guitar and lead vocals, and Billie Rogers is the bassist. At points the music is so intense that it seems like the songs are about to descend into chaos. Definitely some Sonic Youth/Live Skull/Sleater Kinney comparisons can be made. They should be getting the attention like The Joy Formidable is getting. Perhaps it is just the mix on this album, but I think the thing that sets this band apart is the remarkable drumming of Alex Taylor. The way he propels the music to another level makes the already exciting music flat out phenomenal.



I'm only listening to this record for the second time now and I am so completely hooked on this! Cloud Jumpers is simply terrific, which I'm listening to right now. But by the second song Scream Walk, I was already jumping for joy. It's like The Clean mainlining Red Bulls. Blister is an equally awesome tune--Littler's vocals make this one shine. And the lyrics! Blister on a wire...Shimmers like a sunbeam.......

Street Chant should be really proud of what they've done on Means. I could go on and on about this. There are probably 5 more songs here that are exceptional. They played  New York last year back when I had no idea what a glorious racket they raise. These guys are the real deal, believe me. The more I hear some of these New Kiwi groups I really start to think that there is some kind of renaissance going on in that country. I think the reality is that there were still good things going on---it's just that most of us on the other side of the world weren't hearing about it. But as your musical advisor I can't stress more strongly that this is a recording essential to your musical well being.

So I was a little late getting on the Street Chant bandwagon. I think the ride has just begun. Pick this one up yesterday, if not sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment