Sunday, October 16, 2011

Visqueen Packing It In? My Recession has turned to Depression---

Just heard the news that Visqueen will be playing their final show in Seattle on November 26th.

Sad news. Their last album, Message to Garcia is fantastic; while their first two records are also pretty great, the new one branches out in so many new musical directions. The band is very talented, and if you live in Seattle you should count yourself lucky to have had the chance to see them live on many occasions.

I am very glad that I saw them last year at The BigTakeover's 30th Anniversary Party at the Bell House in Brooklyn. They methodically came out on stage for a short set, kicked our asses, and left the building. Rachel Flotard was a complete dynamo on stage, and she had some funny patter between songs. The whole band was fired up for the show, they could not have been more exciting--and I've felt that they deserved a lot more attention than they've gotten. If you don't believe me, listen to the music. It must be frustrating for a band this good not to get to a bigger level.



Anyway, I don't have any tangible information about why they are packing it in. I certainly hope they continue to make music in some way shape or form. As I've said before, sometimes when you spend years listening to bands it starts sounding the same. This band from the outset blew me away completely--if you are a young woman interested in being in a rock band, Visqueen would be a pretty great role model artistically. Hell, I even bought the T-Shirt and wore it proudly. Visqueen is a special band. If you haven't heard them, well, what are you waiting for? If you live near Seattle, see them while you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment