Saturday, January 29, 2011

While The Rockin's Good--Little Willie John-The King Sessions 1958-1960

It's a little embarrassing that Little Willie John is a recent discovery to me. It's happened in a roundabout way, as it happens sometimes with me. Originally he was just a title to a song from Mark Lanegan's great grunge-blues album Bubblegum, Just Like Little Willie John. For some reason I imagined him to be a harmonica playing bluesman, but I was way way off base. But I was intrigued with his name being used by Lanegan, and when I finally got around to the truth, I was floored. Maybe he is a lot better known to many people, but his music is pretty new to me.

What an amazing amazing transcendent voice!! I thought it was Sam Cooke when I listened to this at first. Everyone and their mother knows who Sam Cooke is, but how many people know about Little Willie John is today? Well, they should. The man deserves his due. He without doubt had one of the greatest voices in popular music. Another great talent who went young. Barely made 30.

There are 3 Cd's documenting his recording for the King Label. This particular one covers the years 1958-1960. I'm listening to this right now and I want to play this on infinite rotation. He sings with so much ease, and with great emotion range. And seemingly with true conviction. Whether a slow burning torch ballad like
No More In Life, or a rock n' roll tune like Let's Rock While the Rockin's Good Willie John delivers like a consummate pro. On this album he also sings the great Leave My Kitten Alone. He doesn't sing with the almost otherworldly confidence of a Sam Cooke, but in a lot of ways his delivery seems more real, with  honest vulnerability, perhaps from a lonelier place closer to Roy Orbison's neighborhood.

I guess due to his moniker people like to talk about his "diminutive height". I'm really not that amazed that a short man could have a powerful tremendous voice. It seems kind of silly to me. I'm just amazed by that voice regardless of the vessel. Little Willie John possessed a tremendous gift and despite his short time on planet earth we are fortunate to be able to enjoy his beautiful recordings. You should give him a listen.

1 comment:

  1. Many are just learning about Little Willie John. Unlike Sam Cooke, Nat King Cole, Sam and Dave, and other performers, Willie was not on a Major record label (RCA, Capitol, Atlantic).

    However, Willie's voice, his work and the great respect that he had from his peers speaks for itself.

    It is for this very reason that an Authorized biography about the life and Music of Little Willie John has been written. The book is due out in June of 2011.

    For more information about this and to listen to some of his music please visit this site: http://www.myspace.com/littlewilliejohntheofficialsite

    ReplyDelete